Monday, November 16, 2009

If You Don't Like the Weather, Wait Five Minutes

I grew up (in Missouri, as you know) hearing all the time how crazy the weather was there and how-in Missouri-"if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes."  It was only when I started moving around a bit that I realized that people say that EVERYWHERE.  That's just how weather is, it has nothing to do with geography.
It's freezing here today.  The temperature on the Bank of the Ozarks sign said it was 50 degrees out, but I'm sure it couldn't have been higher than about 25.  What else could account for my constant shivering, my numb fingers, and my compulsion to have the space heater set to 85 blowing directly at my face?  I guess it's about time for it to start getting cold, but it didn't really start getting cold it just was cold. 
Last week I was ready for it.  Every morning I went outside to see how it felt and it was frigid.  I would bundle Story up, I even put a winter hat on him only to get him to school and find it to be about 75 outside.  Today, Monday, I wasn't going to fall for it again.  Only today it was kind of nice in the morning so I dressed him in unseasonably warm clothes as it could only get warmer.  Well by about 10:00 it was 50 degrees and the temperature peaked there.  So, weather, you win again.
The seasons have been a little off here this year.  For one thing it's been raining like crazy.  I don't think it stopped the whole month of October.  Justin was talking to an old family friend about the weather and he said that this was the first year he ever lost his garden to catfish.  I'm not sure he was joking.
Another thing is the allergies.  I never had allergies before I moved here and now I've got them non-stop.  Maybe all the rain made them worse but I haven't been able to smell nor taste my food since about August.  We're going through a lot of salt around here.
I keep waiting but the weather keeps coming up with something new that I dislike-every five minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment